With the start of 2012, my weekly schedule has gone from relatively calm to jam packed and hectic. Wedding planning is in full force. So is Operation Get This Butt Into shape which means hitting the gym early in the morning before work everyday as well as getting in a spin and/or hot yoga class a few nights a week. Oh and I'm coaching my high school alma mater's mock trial team which is very
Bottom line: I've been on the hunt for fast and healthy weeknight meals - read: heavy on the greens and low on starch. I recently stumbled upon this recipe for portobello mushroom pitas that turned out fantastic! Add in fresh tomatoes, basil, and goat cheese and there is some serious yum going on. And this recipe takes maybe 15 mins to prepare. The meal will be made in no time if you have a helper in the kitchen who is handy with a knife and can chop while you do the rest. Ahh teamwork.
Portobello Mushroom and Goat Cheese Pitas(slightly adapted from Cooking Light)
Yields: 2 pitas
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced
- 1 medium tomato
- fresh basil, chopped
- 2 whole wheat pitas (I actually cut mine in half - less carbs!)
- 1 -2 tsp olive oil
- garlic salt
- Goat cheese
- your favorite balsamic vinaigrette
- Drizzle olive oil over pitas. Sprinkle garlic salt to taste. Place in toaster oven and toast until crisp and light brown. Remove and set aside.
- Heat medium pan with olive oil. Place mushrooms in pan; cook 6 minutes or until tender, turning once. Remove mushrooms from pan. Add tomatoes and basil to pan; cook 1 minute.
- Spread goat cheese evenly over pitas. Arrange the mushrooms and tomatoes evenly over pitas. Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette. Serve over fresh leafy greens. Enjoy!